*HUMOR DISCLAIMER: Please note that our humor is quite tongue and cheek and not meant to offend anyone. Our current and potential clients are hip, stylish, open minded, and understand that our tips are meant to educate above all else!
In the world of dog grooming and dog boutiques like Bow Wow Beauty Shoppe we have our seasonal lows and highs like any other business. At Bow Wow Beauty Shoppe, Summer means two things… flea funerals and Summer shave downs. Thankfully we do both quite well! Today’s grooming tips are for the clients that want to keep a curly coated Fido looking fluffy without having to shave him down due to excessive matting. We try our utmost to avoid an unsightly looking shave down (or as we like to call it, a Super Model Cut), but when it comes to your dog’s fur coat our motto is, “Humanity before Vanity.” Now, we’ve heard every excuse in the book as to why your dog’s coat got that way but the simple truth is…ya just didn’t brush that coat! My favorite excuse is always blamed on a friend, lover, husband, wife, family member for not brushing the coat out while the client was on vacation for…THE LAST FOUR MONTHS. If you brush that curly coated dog and or visit your groomer in a timely manner (6–8 weeks,) and follow our tips below, we can keep that coat in tip top shape! Without further adieu, here are the top 5 dog grooming tips to keep your curly coated furry Fido continuously tangle free and fabulous in between grooming appointments…
- Visit Bow Wow Beauty Shoppe once every month (if even for a DYSW) so we can help you with that high maintenance curly coat!
- Not only brush, but COMB out the entire coat, not just what’s on the back. We have several combs that are dog friendly we recommend and sell frequently.
- Comb out high friction areas such as armpits, legs, bum, behind the ears, and face to avoid unsightly and painful matting. There’s no sense in just brushing the back and not all the other areas if we are going to have to shave those legs and leave your furry baby looking like a turtle!
- Brush at least 3 times a week. Watch TV and give your dog his or her favorite treat afterwards. This is great bonding time, and your furry baby will actually look forward to it if they get their favorite treat after each combing/brushing session.
- DO NOT let your curly coated dog air dry after a bath! This is the number 1 reason for a shave down. This type of matting is not salvageable 95% of the time and/or possible without taking out a 2nd mortgage to pay for the excessive matting fees. A curly coated dog must be brushed before the bath as well as brushed and completely blow dried after the bath. If not, the coat starts to tangle at the skin.
We hope this gives you some great insight. If you have any further questions, we look forward to hearing them. Call soon for your next furry beauty appointment!
Bow Wow Beauty Shoppe 619-692-0962